The 13th National Silviculture Conference was held on 24-28 November 2014 at Forest Research Institute, Dehradun. A step in our endeavour towards making forest management in the country more effective and more responsive to the changing demands on forests. In keeping with synchronic issues, the theme of the conference was “managing forests for their multiple functions”.
The theme was based on the following points:
· Silviculture as a tool for enhancing forest resource productivity.
· Policy imperatives for sustained forest management.
· Adaptive forest management techniques for multiple value functions.
· Restoring forests through silviculture for realizing multiple values.
· Opportunities for sustainable livelihoods through adaptive silvicultural practices.
· International instruments: implications on silviculture in India.
· Scientific approaches to optimum resource utilization. Silviculture for sustenance and livelihood generation in fringe forests.